22.7.08

Where is the magic pen?


I am pouring over the complete idiot's guide to grant writing.

See after three years of runing The Super Group, LLC, with all of its small successes and failures along the way...I guess I lost sight of the fact that I am, no matter what project comes up, creating art.

I am creating art to sell, yes. But I am creating art.

Some people have said I am too smart for my own good. I tend to vehemently disagree. I don't think I'm smart enough.

As a singer, I'm not sure I understand what is meant by being too smart. I know it's an euphemism, but I don't know how to calibrate that thought and turn it into a positive. I think more than anything, I am too lazy for my own good...which is why I completely overcompensate on the opposite end.

I went to a singing event the other night. Sarah Smith gets up and sings, like, you know, how people who like to sing, but don't have the complete connection to the voice that's needed to really convey emotion. Then I get up and just rock the house. It's embarrassing, really, because I know many of them have thought at some point, what are you doing here?

Aren't you supposed to be singing opera at the Met?

It's like being a seven foot tall Andre the Giant, you know? I mean... i'm a regular joe until I open my big palooka mouth and start to sing. THEN people are like, OMFG! Who are U?!

That's more an aside than anything, but maybe it's informative in some way.

The point is, The things I do, may be for popular consumption, or create, but they come about in a different manner than just here it is.

The process doesn't work normally. My process anyway. I am like Billy, the kid in Family Circus.
Wending his way from here to there just to go five feet. Billy and I basically try everything and get allowably distracted by things that may seem comepletely disparate, but in the end...and nobody ever acknowledges this, Billy and I have a lot more perspective on all the stuff between here and the spot toward which we were headed.

It's a great book...and I will finish it soon.

Rock
N

No comments: